I finished building my robot today. It was a comparatively quick build compared to RC and model kits I am used to making.
I will make a full post of the build and the technology behind it later but for now here is a video of me calibrating the servos that control the robots head.
I needed to find the right values in order to make sure the robot looks where I want it to.
The robot uses a Seeeduino which is an Arduino compatible controller board and has ultra sonic sensors for eyes.
Waterproofing the receiver is as simple as stretching a party balloon over it and tightening the end where the wires come out. I had already replaced my stock speed controller with one that happened to be water resistant so no action was needed there.
At this year’s tankfest I picked up a new rc tank from the market.
It’s a Heng Long Panzer IV with metal gearbox and tracks.
The metal upgrades are what attracted me to the model. I have an all plastic Heng Long Pershing but it would cost more to upgrade it than the asking price of the Panzer.
I haggled the price down further so it was a real bargain. Unfortunately when I tried to get it going it was dead.
It started working intermittently when playing about with the channel select switch so it seemed like there was a loose connection somewhere. After some googling I found Heng Long’s soldering skills were not highly rated. Eventually I found out that the component next to the switch was causing the problem. The component was re-soldered and the tanks now working fine.
Below is a video of the repaired tank in action.