According to the box I have and the internet this is the 1973 release making it by far the oldest kit I have ever brought and made. The kit itself does not have many parts but due to its age and condition it was not the easiest build.
I started by putting the chassis together and the associated parts that were all to be painted aluminium. I had to use a fair amount of model filler to fill the gaps between the bottom and top of the chassis. This was then spray painted.
The parts to be painted blue were sprayed and test fitted to the model.
The window screen is glued onto the cockpit and parts of it are hand painted blue. This was the worst part of the kit. Neither part lined up and the cockpit was damaged. I had to use a mixture of cutting, filling and sanding to get these parts to glue nicely together.
The duct is painted white and attached to the top of the lift chamber.
The crew are painted and added glued to their seats. They both have life jackets, helmets and masks.
The supporting posts and roof are glued into place completing the cockpit.
The decals were very yellow so I used the old trick of leaving them on by a window for a few days so that the light whitens them.
This is how they looked after a few days in the sun.
Next I started to apply the decals to the rudders, these were tricky as the decals were larger than the rudders meaning they either had to overlap of have the excess cut off.
The hovercraft with rudder decals and cockpit decal applied. The exhaust is painted black and the fire extinguishers are painted gold.
All decals have now been applied and the frame of the cockpit window has been hand painted blue.
Being a bit bored of making military vehicles and a big fan of space exploration I picked up a couple of kits for the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary. This is the Revell Apollo Astronaut, I thought it would be an interesting kit as it will be the first time I have built a kit focused on a figure that size.
After a major downpour on Friday I stumbled across a flooded car park which I thought would be perfect for testing my e-Gemini on water. The craft performs remarkably well, hovering gracefully and turning on six pence. As you can see I am still getting used to the handling. 🙂
Here is my first go at piloting the craft. It feels a bit nicer to control compared to the smaller craft because of its extra weight and size. I have not used it enough yet to know whether or not I need to adjust the center of gravity. It may look a little twitchy in the video but I was trying to keep it in a small area away from any cars so did not give it a proper straight line test.
Something I forgot show in my previous post is the electronics under the hovercraft seat.
Here we have a 5000mah 3 cell Lipo so plenty of speed and runtime. This connects to a brushless motor ESC which connects to the brushless motor and receiver. The receiver is an ar600 aircraft receiver. Aside from sending control inputs to the ESC it is also connected to a servo at the rear of the craft to control the rudders. A servo extension cable was required because of the distance and the fact the cable had to be run around the duct in order to make sure it was safely away from the propeller.
The lunch box is probably the most famous Tamiya RC of all and I have yet to build one. I did however stumble across a Mini 4WD version of the lunch box which would make a nice scaled down model to have on a desk. Mini 4WD is something that never seemed to make it to the UK, probably because of Scalextric’s dominance of the slot car market. I only know of their existence thanks to someone bringing me one back from a visit to Japan as a present.
Mini 4WD is similar to Scaletric but you have no control over the car once the race has started. This means everything is more down to the build and design of the car rather than adjusting the speed as it goes round.
Anyhow I now have a few mini 4WD cars. They make a nice break from larger projects as they easy snap together kits that can be made up in an evening. They also make for good shelf models of full size Tamiya RC kits.
They are also good fun to run although its better if you have a track for them to follow. This one in particular has a wheelie bar and some Continue reading Mini 4WD Lunch Box
Last night I started working on the gun for the M107. The gun is interesting because it has lots of moving parts that you have to make sure are not glued. It is also massive and I have no idea how this thing will fit into a display case.
I could not resist test fitting it to the hull to see how it looked. It still needs some cleaning up and a few more parts added before being painted.
I have not posted on this blog in some time and its been even longer since I have posted about a plastic kit.
A lot has happened since then including moving into my own place which I have built a basement workbench in. This has solved one the main barriers to modelling I had which was having to pack my modelling stuff up from the dining room table after each session.
I have a number of part built kits to resume but I decided to start a fresh with this great kit. I have been looking forward to building it for a while as its something a little different from the usual tank. Its an Italeri kit sold as a Tamiya with some Tamiya figures so a bit of an odd one.
Being an Artillery piece with a massive gun should make for an impressive model when complete. So far I have built and painted the chassis and dozer blade. The blade can be moved which is demonstrated in the video below.