Tamiya 1:35 King Tiger Radio Control Part 4


The Tiger 2 is almost complete. The spare tracks have been added to the turret and any accessories have been attached to the tank hull. From the above Continue reading Tamiya 1:35 King Tiger Radio Control Part 4

Tamiya 1:35 King Tiger Radio Control Part 3


The next thing to do on my tiger 2 was to add the decals and tank commander. I applied the decals to a layer of varnish and then varnished Continue reading Tamiya 1:35 King Tiger Radio Control Part 3

Tamiya 1:35 King Tiger Radio Control Part 2


Next on my todo list is finishing off the r/c Tiger 2 that I started last year.


The upper hull turret and barrel is air brushed dunkel gelb.


After the main coat was applied I hand painted on a red brown camouflage pattern.

Tamiya 1:35 King Tiger Radio Electronics and Lower Hull


Over the weekend I decided to focus on the lower hull of this kit. That way I could start playing about with the electronics and get the thing moving.


The first thing to do was to start masking areas that should not be painted. These are areas where the wheels will be attached Continue reading Tamiya 1:35 King Tiger Radio Electronics and Lower Hull

Tamiya 1:35 King Tiger Radio Control

The problem I find with R/C vehicles is they take up a lot of space considering how often I use them. I stumbled across (and won) one of these great kits on eBay the other day. I did not even know these kits existed!

They are Tamiya 1:35 static kits modified to take R/C components giving you a highly detailed R/C model. This one is from 2001 and they seem pretty rare. There are some pre-built 1:35 models around abroad but these seem to have some ugly ir sensor on top of them.


This is what you get in the R/C box alongside the kit. There are motors and gears for the drive and turret rotation along with some extra parts to convert the static model to R/C.


This is the model kit itself. I looks like it comes with stronger tracks that you would get with the static model.


I purchased some after market options for my build. The first is a zimmerit sheet. This give the surfaces a texture representing the paste that was put on some armour to prevent magnetic mines from sticking to the hull.


The second upgrade I went for was the photo etched grills. I did no realise at first but you also get a sight for the turret gun as well.


I started the kit by glueing the photo etched parts into place.


Next I started adding the zimmerit. I had to cut out areas on the sheet with a modelling knife where any parts would stick out from. First up was the rear hull.


Next I added zimmerit to the front lower hull.


Finally I added the zimmerit sheets to the turret sides. On each side a large square is cut out for the unit markings to sit in.

That’s all for now, more on this build soon!