Locking the rear differential on my tt01

One of the most important things to do when setting a car up for drifting is to lock the rear diff.

There are many mods around the internet detailing different ways of doing this (using glue etc) bit I decided to just buy a replacement part to do the job.

IMG_20140413_210305646This is a single part made to replace the differential gears in a tt01 forcing the wheels to spin at the same speed.


The differential gears are removed…


… and replaced with the part locking the differential.


Team C Racing Jekyll build

When I first saw this kit on modelsport I was intrigued. It was only £39 and I wanted to know just how good a car you would get for the price. You have to supply your own Electronic Speed Controller, Servo, Receiver and Motor bringing the total minimum build price to around £70- £80. I spent a bit more as I wanted to but some more decent bits in it.


The packaging and parts were a decent quality considering the price and the manual was easy to follow. This would make a nice inexpensive first kit.


Things I used to complete the build:

  • hitec servo £6
  • 10 turn limit mtroniks sniper esc around £25
  • 13×3 Orion Motor £18
  • Spektrum 301 DSM coated reciever £23


It seems I made a bad choice with the esc as the 13×3 motor seems to overheat it very easily, I am looking into a solution for that. On top of this I melted a battery connector to the esc so I ordered some traxxas connectors to deal with the current.

WP_000386Soldering the new connectors


I also ordered a set of UK buggy bearings to ball race the kit. These replaced the bronze bushings that come as standard.


I do intend to replace my battery connectors with deans but the reason I went with a traxxas in this instance is I got this rocket pack battery in a sale. Its a 5100Mah 8.4 V Orion Rocket pack and really makes the thing go.

The bad thing is its too big for the battery compartment so I have to tape it in each time!

In summary this kit is easy to build, robust and well its cheap enough to buy a second one for a complete set of spare parts. I will upload some videos of it in action soon!

Blade MCPx Helicopter Repairs and Upgrades

I was a bit adventurous last time I took my MCPx out and started attempting to fly upside down.

Although I did manage a pretty sketchy barrel roll I eventually crashed and snapped the tail boom and landing gear.


I started googling for parts and found their are plenty of upgrades available for this helicopter.

I brought a stronger longer tail boom (still and official part for the heli) and carbon fibre landing skids.

I was tempted by an aluminium tail boom but I figured this would just impart the force from a crash onto the main frame instead.


Helicopter Camera Pod Mod

I have had this idea for a while now but have had to wait till I got a helicopter with a decent fuselage to attach a camera pod to. Most reasonably priced helicopters that come with a camera are not very good so I have always wanted a mod a camera onto a decent single rotor one.

I recently brought the Hubsan Lynx single rotor that has a nice amount of flat space to attach an adhesive strip to.

This is a really simple mod. All you need is some picture hanging strips and a spy camera.

There is a large selection of spy cameras on Amazon and I brought a few different types to mess around with. The one that I decided to use with this mod fits the hanging strip nicely so I chose that one.

All you need to do is attach one strip to the camera…

…and the other to the underbelly of the helicopter.

The camera sticks really well and I am sure it will hold just fine.

The only problem I see so far is that the camera protrudes the landing gear so taking off could be tricky.

That’s all for now. Will hopefully test it at the weekend.