Tamiya Volkswagon Camper Monster Truck

I picked up this kit last week in the modelzone sale but only just received the additional parts needed to complete the model.

It was about half the going price online and eBay.

The box shows it painted white and red but I decided to go for white and orange instead.


The free bonus parts included are ball race bearings. Its pretty handy seeing as the first thing I usually do is replace Tamiya’s crappy plastic/bronze bushings with bearings.


Aside from the paint, I also needed to order a servo for the steering and a radio receiver. As usual I went for a Spektrum receiver in the hope of unifying all my radio gear under one compatible type.

Upgraded Blackfoot with 12t x2 Motor and new Electronic Speed Controller

I decided to once again upgrade my motor on my electronic monster truck. The maximum upgrade people seem to recommend for a truck of thistype is a 12 turn with x2. the x2 gives it a little more torque to make up for the torque lost by using a lower turn motor. In order to use this I also had to replace the stock speed controller with one that would support a 12t motor.

The motor is an LRP v10 spec5 12×2 and I am using a Modelsport Sniper RV-12 ESC.

They seem to give the truck a nice boost compared to the small gain received by upgrading it with a tamiya motor.

More upgrades for Tamiya TT01 and Blackfoot (Motors and Tyres)

Today I installed a Tamiya sport tuned motor on my TT01 chassis and Blackfoot Truck.

Its a small upgrade compared to going for a brushless motor but I managed to get two sport tuned motors real cheap on an Amazon store.

I also fitted some Tamiya drift tyres to the TT01 that I brought on eBay.

Motor and wheels installed
Motor and wheels installed
Motor attached to Blackfoot Chassis
Motor attached to Blackfoot Chassis

New Humvee shell for Tamiya Blackfoot 3


This is a Proline Hummer H2 body shell for my black foot 3.

It is painted with Tamiya lame flake and a black under coat.

This is the first time I have had a go with flaked paint and I am pleased results.

Next for the blackfoot is some hopups I have to install.

More Monster Truck Fun!

My repair to my monster trucks manifold was not good enough and it simply became detached again. This time I used permanent threadlock to seal the nuts to the manifold holding it in place. The only way you are supposed to be able to get threadlock off is with a heat gun meaning the engine vibrations will not loosen it.

I took the truck out for a good run along the beach which was a great test of its off road capabilities. Unfortunately I cracked an exhaust coupling on my second tank of fuel!