You may have seen a long time ago I made a post with a load of blue aluminium upgrades for my tt01 car. Well I completely forgot about the oil filled shocks shown in that post and have just got round to building them and installing them.
The process for building the 3Racing shocks is pretty standard to any others I have built and the parts were of good quality.
Even the spring was easy to fit which can be a right pain going by the ones I built for the Red Bull car.
These only took a few minutes to build. I think I spent longer waiting for the bubbles in the oil to disappear than anything else. They replace the standard friction dampers you get in most Tamiya kits.
One of the most important things to do when setting a car up for drifting is to lock the rear diff.
There are many mods around the internet detailing different ways of doing this (using glue etc) bit I decided to just buy a replacement part to do the job.
This is a single part made to replace the differential gears in a tt01 forcing the wheels to spin at the same speed.
The differential gears are removed…
… and replaced with the part locking the differential.
Recently I have been doing some work on my tt01 to finish upgrading and repair it.
Here I have brought some work rims and fitted HPI super drift tyres to them to give the wheels a more customised look than the Tamiya ones that came with the model.
Fitting the tyres to rims is easier said than done. You can heat up the tyres in a saucepan to make them soft enough to snap right on but I have not been brave enough to attempt that yet.
I use a screw driver to work my way round the wheel fitting it into the tyre a bit at a time.
The wheels come with a sticker sheet but at the moment I think they look better as they are without the stickers.
You can see the real wheels here
Arms with adjustable camber, oil filled shocks and propeller joints for the drive shaft. All are Aluminium replacing plastic parts. Shocks need to be built and filled with oil so they will need to set overnight.
Today I fitted a part aluminium ball joint steering upgrade to my TT01 chassis. This replaces the stock steering track which is all plastic and screwed in. This upgrade has improved steering control which is especially handy when drifting.
The upgrade item is a 3Racing Steering Track. It says it is for the TT01E but comes with the parts also needed to fit it to the TT01.
New steering track in action.
Giving my Tamiya TT01 a little drift session after its hop-ups and drift tyres are fitted.