Tamiya Lotus F1 type 102B RC Kit Part 1

This was a Christmas present I have been working on over the past few weeks.

IMAG0685

There are a few reasons I like this kit.

The first is the car has the classic F1 shape that has been lost over the years as aerodynamics technology has moved forward.

The other main reason is the style. I like racing green and this kit reminds me of the recent all green Caterham F1 cars.

Lastly the year this car ran Team Lotus were sponsored by Tamiya which I thought was quite cool since it is a Tamiya kit.

IMAG0668

I started by cutting out and painting the body. The air intake come as a separate from the main body and was attached with multi purpose adhesive.

In the Tamiya instructions it said to attach it using  a transparent sticker which I thought was a stupid and untidy idea.

IMAG0671

You may have noticed that my body has ended up all green. This was because my masking taped leaked pretty badly and I decided to fix it by going all green (Remember what I said about liking the all green Caterhams).

IMAG0665

Next I started on the chassis. I managed to dig out some electronic parts needed to complete the kit from my spares. The silver tin stock motor was replaced with a sport tuned motor I found as well.

IMAG0667

The chassis was started by attaching the motor mount, servo and front steering.

IMAG0672

Next the chassis was built up with the parts to hold the electronics and house the battery.

This chassis is pretty neat as the receiver and esc sit on swing arms that rotate to allow you to get access to the battery.

IMAG0676

Next the tyres were attached to the wheels and fitted to the car. The tyres are fitted to the wheels with double sided tape which I did not find that great. They were fiddly to attach and involved a lot of trial and error to get them looking right. I have no idea how well they will hold.

IMAG0680

The chassis was finished by adding the drive gear and differential to the rear right. I then added the front wing and gave the model a quick run around to check everything was working.

This leaves the stickers and rear wing to add.

Oh and I better give the driver a head.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s