Giving my Tamiya TT01 a little drift session after its hop-ups and drift tyres are fitted.
Here is a test of the TT01 with its first parts. I forgot to put my head on straight this morning. Sorry!
I have had my eye on the Tamiya Silvia Coppermix drift kit before I got back into R/c.
So I decided to instead go for a standard chassis XB RTR version of the model and upgrade it myself as these are cheaper and more easily available.
It arrived today from Germany and has already had its first upgrades installed.
The initial hop ups I have installed are an aluminum drive shaft and race bearings to replace all standard bearings / bushings.
I found the main gear can be annoying to get back in without taking the rear differential apart. When you take the drive shaft out the bevel pinion gears attaching to the diffs drop making it difficult to re-insert the drive shaft. Good job I had to replace the bearings in the differentials anyway.
All in all its pretty easy to take apart and rebuild.
I have drift tyres and a sport tuned motor on the way as the next step.
Replaced all gearbox/wheel bearings and bushings with ballrace bearings. (Bearings in photo are originals)
Next in line is a more powerful motor and possibly conversion to Lipo.
I went into Modelzone today and whilst looking at the RC cars I was told that the Blackfoot III XB Pro 2.4 GHZ was currently going for £84.99.
It was not prices up like this and was still marked at something over £250. I am not sure if this was just a price for my local store or the same deal applies around the country.
I gave it a quick test in the park and although its not as fast as the nitro vehicles i am used to its good fun and handles off road really well.
As much as I love nitro there is something to be said about the ease and hassle free nature of electric cars.